Tuesday, January 29, 2019

What's in the Way of Your Education?

Samuel Clemens ("Mark Twain") said something to the effect of "I never let schooling get in the way of my education". Sound advice!
There's a tendency among some to think that the only place worth seeking an education is from an expert, but my Daddy taught me long ago that while schooling can TELL you many things, the best thing it will TEACH you is how to learn. By and large after that, you will be your own teacher.
This has been sound advice, and I hope you can take it. As a testimonial, I offer some of the following observations:

  • I frequently evaluate and critique my world view, in it, empathy plays a key role. 
  • On this idea of empathy, I find that while some people seem to be born with a lot of it, I have learned quite a bit, both by observation and by participation.
  • My Grandfather thought by and large that people got the government they wanted. If something was wrong, they wanted it that way. I think he was right.
  • Regarding the previous point, I have learned that I am always free to do the right thing.
  • This brings me to some things about "Sin":
    • Anybody can do a particular wrong thing.
    • Everybody does do wrong
    • Nothing exists that is so heinous that nobody will do it.
    • There's only black and white. Whatever you think is grey is made up of myriads of good decisions inside of bad decisions inside of good decisions, etc. It's pixelated and viewed from afar. Get near to understand it, or further away to understand yourself.
  • It's always a good time to show grace.
That's the start of my advice to anyone who would care to hear it. I hope it's good for your "education" no matter what your age.


No comments: