So I completed my Dummy load late Saturday Nite, early Sunday Morning. Here's how it went down.
|All the parts.|
Purdy ain't she?
The underbelly is equally attractive. You can't really tell, but the pads are jumpered together using the resistor leads. I would pull the lead through one side and thread it through a hole two pads down to give the resistors up top space.
I attached the UHF connector to the top of the lid by drilling a hole in it, and rolling a lip onto the edge. It felt pretty snug once I got the connector fully seated on top. It was easy to hold the connector in place and use a 1/8 inch drill bit to drill out two of the holes for mounting screws. I searched in my junque drawer for the hardware, and settled for some bugle headed machine screws that fit down in the screwhole for the connecter. I also drilled out a hole for the ground wire to come up through. I wanted to be able to solder the wire to the top of the connector. Here's how it looked:
|Ready for connection!|
|In the jar, but Dry.|
After threading the ground wire through the hole to the top of the connector, and soldering it down, I soldered the red wire to the center pin of the connector on the underside. Before I put mineral oil in it, I wanted to make sure it was a 50 ohm resistive load. So I grabbed my trust $4 Volt Ohm Meter and started poking it.
Yep, it works! I put mineral oil in the jar and sealed as tight as I could. Rechecked resistance, and it works!
|This is 1.25 watts at 14.06ish MHz|