Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chicken Wings & Jesus Things: Casey Anthony and Jesus...

Gravy's take on the whole Casey Anthony thing. He says all that needs to be said from a Christian perspective. He deals with the follow up:

Chicken Wings & Jesus Things: Casey Anthony and Jesus...: "Well the verdict is in and she was found not guilty on murder charges or child abuse. I have been, like so many, watching the trial and..."

Thanks Jim!
Those words need to be said, even though a lot of us may feel bitter about the decision.
Here's what I want to say from a justice oriented perspective (Christian as my worldview is). 

The Jury's Decision is the Correct Decision.

I know many of you are angry that I would suggest such a thing, and if you want, you can reread my posts on "String Theory" and Osama bin Ladin and you will understand why as a Christian I can believe such a thing.
Let me say it again:

The Jury's Decision is the Correct Decision.

Now pause again, and reflect, then say it outloud, and let the saying of it free you from the emotion of the verdict.  We have a justice system where it is supposed to be easier for the guilty to go free than for the innocent to be imprisioned.
Yet sometimes, even the innocent are imprisioned:
'Franky" Carillo
Lathan Word
Larry Osbourne
Cornelius Dupree Jr
Just a few.... just a few.
Now I believe in the death penalty, because I believe in justice.  I am however, and equal believer in grace. 
I thank God today that I live in a country where the burden of proof is supposed to rest on the Prosecution, and not on the defense.  A purely rational society shouldn't be arranged in this manner, you do realize that right? I thank God that I live in a country where I can be judged by a jury of my peers, because while justice is blind, we certainly aren't.
Heh.
If you want to mourn here, now is the time to mourn.
Please do so.
Post a Comment