Saturday, February 11, 2012

Heirloom Tomatoes part 2

Ok, here's part two of my quest for awesome heirloom tomatoes, Rutgers variety.
You've already met the players, let's get a closer look at what's in those hippie egg trays:
Not every seed sprouted, but every little cup in the tray had at least one sprouted seed. The new leaves were out on several of the seeds. You could tell the seed were having some problems staying oriented because of the water they were in. Sometimes down is up when you have no root. Surely there is a spiritual lesson in that as well.
Here's a photographic account of how the seedlings were planted:




















It's amazing to observe when a child will and will not sit still.
Planting time is a perfect example.

My two year old is normally miss Messy Raccoon, climbing into everything, dumping it out, etc. After we drop off Sisters at their respective schools, it's just she and I for about 3 hours. Usually we go outside, do puzzles, go on walks, exercise, watch movies, whatever to keep busy. If I am doing anything she has to be right on top of it, all up my my business so to speak.  When I planted these plants she was right under me the whole time, and sat still watching everything I did. She didn't grab anything, spill anything, try to pick anything up (at least not while I was busy planting things), or be anything but strictly attentive. She sat in one spot, and watched me plant 24 tomato seedlings.
If you ask her to eat her breakfast though, she can't sit still for more than a bite.

No comments: